Deadline 17 June 2013
Upstart is a non-profit collective that promotes arts and creative collaboration as tools for meaningful social change. Our mission is to highlight the importance of creativity and ingenuity when society is in need of direction and solutions, and to emphasise the value of arts to public life. In 2010, Upstart first formed to create a debate around the role of creativity in Irish society during the 2011 General Election Campaign, by putting original election-sized art and poetry posters on the streets of Dublin. Further to deferred plans in 2012, Upstart now seeks a number of intern project coordinators to assist with the development of an Upstart Pop-Up Park in Dublin City Centre, which will launch in September 2013 and run for one month. This project will transform a derelict site into a shared community space for creativity, nature, imagination and play.
Overview of the Internship
The intern will work alongside the Upstart core group and other stakeholders to help realise the vision for the 2013 Pop-Up Park. This internship will provide valuable insight, practical skills and experience for an individual who wants to expand their skills in project development. The park will host arts events, open-air cinema, theatre, live music, educational events, a pop-up restaurant and much more, and this is an opportunity for a motivated individual to occupy a key role in one or more of these areas.
• Working as part of a team to support planning and promotion of the Upstart park
• Bringing new ideas, enthusiasm, and thinking to the park planning process
• Providing administrative support and acting as a point of contact
• Establishing relationships and links with new groups and individuals
• Providing artistic programming and logistic planning support
• Hands-on event management support
Time Period and Commitment
The internship will last from June approx 16 weeks for an estimated 20 hours per week during the planning phase, with an increase of hours during the actual delivery of the park in September. Hours are negotiable. Interns will have the opportunity to work from the Upstart workshop, but will be required to have available their own laptop. Interns will be invited to contribute to the weekly Upstart meeting, and to meet community and arts groups on location as and when required.
Upstart Workshop, Strand Street, Dublin 2
Skills, Experience & Qualities Required
• Excellent written, verbal and IT communication skills
• Experience and/or interest in working with community and arts groups
• Creative thinker with capacity to think in a structured way about project development
• Intermediate to Advanced level of English
• Commitment to the ethos of collaboration and creativity
• Enthusiastic and willing to learn within the role.
Induction, Support & Supervision
• The intern will be supervised by a member of the Upstart Core Team
• The intern will receive an informal induction, and ‘on the job’ training throughout
• Ongoing support and feedback from the Upstart group
• Gain insight and experience in project planning, coordination and management
• Opportunity to network and develop relationships with project stakeholders
• Opportunity to expand your CV/portfolio
Applicants should be city centre based, with their own laptop and internet access, as unfortunately no expenses apply to this position. The contribution of interns will be recognised throughout the project and during the final project wrap-up. A formal written reference will also be available.
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a one-page cover letter us why you want to be an Upstart Intern. The Upstart 5 Points Document is also available by email, which provides an outline of our vision for the park. Deadline for applications is June 17 2013.
Find Upstart on Facebook or call a member of the Upstart Core Team on 0871252184.